Friday, January 30, 2009

Xi'an, China

Another post from Alex:

Spent the last 2 days in Xi’an, China. Well, we really spent 3 days here, but the first day included the early morning flight from Beijing and the rest of the day with me holed up in our hotel, sick from something I ate. Mom suggested it was the mayonnaise from my lunch on the airplane which seemed unlikely until she pointed out what mayo has in it… so perhaps.

The second day, I spent the morning and early afternoon fighting off the remnants of said food sickness, then emerged victorious, I suppose, with hunger pangs and some interest in seeing the city.

We ventured forth and visited the Drum tower of the city of Xi’an. Each major city and, I learned today, some smaller enclaves like monasteries, had a Bell tower to ring the bell at dawn and a Drum tower to beat the drum at dusk. Sensibly, the bell was the easternmost of the two. Following that short excursion, Mike departed, he having little desire to visit the same shops that he had visited yesterday with Mom, which she was intent to take me to now that I was feeling better.

We went to a calligraphy shop where we had the artist do my daughters’ names. It was wonderful.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like he's having a good time. I am very jealous, I would love to see China. Hey, are you planning on bringing M over tonight so you can have some quiet time? Brian is taking the kids to Karate tonight so I will be here to usher in the kids, so feel free to come over any time.

Dirk and Trish said...

A-Bummer on being sick, but at least it was fairly short. It would be so fun to see some of that stuff. We had someone do L's name once and it's so much prettier than boring English. Have fun and stay healthy!