Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back to School

With the slower economy and tax season fast approaching, I've begun looking for a part time job that's flexible and preferably something I could do at home. I've been attending a tax preparation review class every night this week (my excuse for not blogging in a while) and am remembering that I really enjoyed this stuff back when I use to work on taxes back in AZ. There are a couple changes since I prepared taxes then, but for the most part, it's all starting to come back to me. I'm seriously thinking about reinstating my CPA license.

Most people probably don't know that I was ever a licensed CPA in Colorado. That's because I didn't finish the licensing until after we moved to AZ. And since a CO license is not valid in AZ, I never did anything to keep it from lapsing. And then I really got into real estate, and I honestly didn't think I'd be doing accounting again for a LONG time.



But there you have it: I'm a closet CPA, and now I'm considering brushing off the cobwebs and coming out of the closet again (convenient that we're back in CO again). Luckily my license has only been expired for a couple years, so all I need to do to reinstate is take a ton of continuing education classes. So I'll soon be a student again.

I remember the time I received my official college diploma/degree. I was staying at my brother's house at the time waiting for my new job to start when the manila envelope arrived in the mail. I was so excited to see it, and I could tell my nephew J thought I was a weirdo. I showed him the unimpressive, single sheet of paper and asked him, "do you know what this paper means?" "It means that I never have to go to school ever again." He was much more impressed and I believe quite jealous too.

But I've come to understand that I was wrong. Learning and even formal school never really ends. And it's not such a bad thing either. I seem to enjoy "school" much more than I used to. I'm really looking forward to studying our great country's tax system again.

Ok, maybe I really am weird after all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll never forget the longs hours you studied accounting in our college apartment - of course you could barely get off the couch because of that monster cast. :) Enjoy school - you were always really good at it (my role model.) - Heather

Unknown said...

Good luck with your new endeavor! I hope it goes as smoothly as the first time around and that most of it sounds familiar.