Thursday, January 22, 2009

Our Prisoner's Last Request

Yesterday, M got in trouble at bedtime for continually getting out of bed (and waking up the baby in the process) so we shut her bedroom door. I know it sounds weak, but it is actually quite the effective punishment for her.

After she had some time to calm down and stop crying, I heard her whimpering something from behind her door. I asked her what she wanted and she replied, "I want to see your toesies." (She was laying down by the door looking underneath.)

Despite my frustration, I was touched that even though she couldn't have her door open, she took solace in at least being able to see my feet at the door. I placed each foot in turn right up to the crack under the door for her, and she reached out her little fingers under the door to touch them. How sweet is that?!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, Noah is the same way! He HATES having his bedroom door closed, it's the ultimate worst punishment for him. Of course, it doesn't really help that he is scared of monsters right now and they could be lurking ANYWHERE in the deep darkness of his room when the door is closed.

He'll say something like, "I need to see your shining face, Momma." and it just breaks my heart!