Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tragedies and Miracles

I caught M playing in my purse at church in UT; she had dumped my jewelry out of the bag I had brought it in. I loaded it all back in, scolded my daughter and didn't think of it again until I caught her in my purse again after we got home. I took inventory of the jewelry and to my dismay found that that one of my tanzanite/diamond earings was missing.

Now I normally don't put a lot of stock in jewelry, but not only was this one of the very few pieces I have that is a real stone (most of my stuff is pretty cheap), but Alex had bought these for me on our honeymoon and given them to me on the birth of our first child. So, you can imagine how sad it made me to think of losing it. But considering the most likely place it could have gotten lost was at a pew in the church in UT, we both agreed that the chance of anyone finding it was slim, much less that the person who found it would know to return it to us. Nonetheless, I was talking to my sister on the phone and mentioned it to her, with little hope in her actually finding it.

But miracles do happen; she called me back soon thereafter to report that my mother had been vacuuming her home and just happened to notice that little earing before it got sucked up. They'll be mailing it out to me soon. We're so thrilled that it was actually recovered! What a blessing!

That's two for two, now. Alex gave me this gorgeous aquamarine on the day we got married that had been in his family for some time. What do you know I left my toiletry bag with the aquamarine in it in a drawer at the hotel in Florida on our honeymoon. I was just sick when I realized it. Thank heaven, the cleaning crew found it and were honest enough to turn it in. We got that one back too. I'd rather we didn't try for three times.

1 comment:

Dirk and Trish said...

That would have upset me so much! Glad it worked out-twice. What a sweety! It's better to have fewer nice things that mean something than a box full of expensive, worthless stuff. Welcome back to blogsville!