Sunday, May 30, 2010

Love at First ... Sound?

Yes, it's true. I've fallen in love. (Alex, I hope you're not too jealous.) I didn't mean to; I wasn't looking for it. It just happened.

In a way, it's Alex's fault. He just had to sing 4 little words tonight, "Somewhere over the rainbow." It wasn't even what he meant to sing, since I had just been talking about the new lullaby that I sang to M tonight from that classic film, "An American Tale." Yep, he meant to sing "Somewhere Out There," but then again he mixes his songs alot; and I love him for it.

Well, his mixup got me to thinking that "Somewhere over the Rainbow" would be a great lullaby too; and I already knew most of the words. And not too long ago I heard a acoustic jazz version (Nora Jones like) of the song that I just LOVED, but I couldn't remember the artist. So of course I had to get on the Internet and google it.

That's when it happened. I found a forum talking about several of the different people who have recorded that song. WOW! I had no idea so many people have done a version of Judy Garland's classic. In fact, did you know that it has been deemed the undisputed BEST movie song of all time? And in WWII, along with "White Christmas" it was determined to be the song that best represented the United States? Interesting... back to the forum.

There I was browsing some of the artists mentioned; thinking, "No, it wasn't Jamaican... No, it wasn't a guy... No, it wasn't Cher... Wait... Eva Cassidy...now there's a name it just might have been." I found a Youtube video made to her song and began to listen. Although it wasn't the exact version I was looking for; it was the same style, and most excellently done. Incredibly done, in fact; and that's it. I fell in love. There were a whole bunch of Youtubes done of some of her other songs, and the more I listened, the more she has climbed to one of my very favorite artists. (You should look up her rendition of "Danny Boy". WOW! I'm listening to it now, and I've got goosebumps. In fact, hold on.. I have to listen... I'll be right back.)

Ok, it's done. I can continue...

I'm a pretty focused person. I came from an intensely focused family. We Sherwoods are great at getting things done, because once we start, it's very, very, hard to stop before it's completely done. However this intense focus has a few drawbacks too. I can't multitask worth anything (don't get me talking while I'm driving a car); and "Just a minute... I'm almost done" could really mean 3 more hours. (You know, we honestly believe it's only going to be just a few more minutes... it's amazing how fast those hours fly when you're so focused.)

And yet, there are a couple songs out there that speak so completely to my soul, that I have to stop whatever I'm doing, close my eyes, and just listen, and feel my soul swell as I drink in the beauty of the music. Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," The Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," Sarah Brightman/Andrea Boccelli's "Time to Say Goodbye" and her "Pie Jesu." Those immediately jump to mind. This version of "Danny Boy" may just have joined those ranks for me.

I would place her sound in my untrained ear as similar in style to Nora Jones(I love Nora!) and yet a little more pure in tone like Sarah Brightman (I love Sarah too). Not that she's new in any way. I think I read that she died young in the late 90's. It's just that I'm now discovering her music for the first time; and yes, I'm in love. (I really would love a cd... hint...hint...Alex)

No comments: