Sunday, January 10, 2010

Things I'm learning in 2010

1. Just Quit (sometimes.) It's ok to stop in the middle of a project. Tomorrow is another day. And hey, it could even wait until next week. (This is a hard lesson for me. I'm very much a one-track-minded person.) Some things are just more important.

2. Basic Math: If it takes 10 minutes to drive to the church, and 5 minutes to load all the children and things into the car; getting in the car at 1:40 will NOT get you to church in time for the 1:30 meeting. (Oops)

3. 2 Days, not just 1. When Alex leaves me on a business trip, I need to not plan anything on either the day he leaves, OR the day before. I'm learning that I start mourning in anticipation of the departure. How silly is that? In any case, I neither have the energy or the mental capacity to handle much on those two days. Then reason and practicality will set in, and I'll be fine. (4 more days and he'll be home!)

4. Kids are smarter than you think. I seem to be relearning this every other day. Today Princess M memorized the first article of faith in very little time. It's so cute to hear her say "ThEternal Fadder"! Only 4 and already quoting scripture; they grow up so fast, don't they?

That's it for now. I'm falling asleep as I write this, so I'm going to take lesson 1 to heart and go to bed.

For those who may be wondering: Banana Girl had her doctor's appointment this week for her 16 month checkup. Apart from having to get 5 shots (poor thing!) we were thrilled to see that she has jumped from the Zero percentile (not even on the charts) for height and weight up to the 60th percentile in just 3 months. The doctor would still like to see her gain a little more, but at least we can all breathe a lot easier now, knowing that she is not starving, and seems to be making up for lost ground in the growth department. Yeah!!

Ok, good night.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

These are good things for all of us to remember! Especially that we can put something down and get to it later. So many times we think we have to do it NOW -- when in reality we don't. Thanks for the reminder.

Sarah said...

Um, wait...I DON'T have to do things right now? Why the heck didn't anyone tell me this BEFORE Christmas?

And you know what? Kids are amazing and resilient and I'm sure that your baby girl will be right on track in no time. What's a percentile anyway?

And Mr. B is on A of F #3, I LOVE to hear him recite them, their little minds are amazing!