So upon leaving church today we ran into a roadblock on the way home, diverting traffic off of the highway. The patrolman let us through when we told him we lived beyond the checkpoint. Pretty soon it was apparent why the highway was closed. Here are some pictures we took along the highway.
news link we're following the update on
It's a wild experience to have to walk through your home and have to decide what is important enough to save and what you can allow to burn if the worst happened. I tell you what; most everything is not important enough to save. There is one thing I forgot to grab that I wish I had. My mom made me a gorgeous quilt when I first left home for collage, which is currently laying on my bed. I do wish I had grabbed that.
Back to the title of my post... I have sooooo much to be grateful for today:
- We're all safe!
- Once again the Grays for taking us into their already full home for who knows how long
- Time to walk through our house and grab a few things
- The firefighters, and border patrolmen, and all those who are working so hard to contain the fire and protect the people in the area
- The church for encouraging us to always be prepared and have important papers and other essential items gathered and ready to grab in an emergency
- A Wonderful teaching moment with Princess M! We've been talking with her about everything that's going on, all the how's, why's, and what we need to learn from this. She's learning to stay calm in an emergency, to decide what is really important, fire safety, gratitude for all the servicemen involved, her ability to pray and ask for help for us and for everyone else in harm's way, (she said the sweetest prayer on our drive away from the house), and so much more. You can't pay for a teaching opportunity like this!
- Princess M's sweet heart. She wants to bake cookies tomorrow and take them to the firemen and policemen to say thank you. I think it's a great idea! She also wants to track down the airports where the airplanes came from (that are dropping the fire retardant) and take them cookies too. I'm not sure we'll make that happen, but it's really neat to see her thinking of others.
- Everyone's concern. Thank you.
- A loving Heavenly Father, who we know is looking out for us and our family!
We'll post an update as soon as we know anything.