Sunday, April 19, 2009

Snow Day!!

This past weekend, Mother Nature decided to remind us that no matter what the calendar may say, or how warm the weather has been, or how the flowers may already be blooming, Winter is never truly over in Colorado until AFTER Mother's Day. We had a fantastic snow storm that dumped a lot of wet, wonderful & needed moisture all over Colorado Springs.



Schools were out, and the whole city hunkered down for a weekend stuck indoors for the "blizzard", which made me laugh, because although the air got cold, and the snow certainly came down, the ground was so warm that the roads never really got bad. Some deep slush at the most. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I don't seem to remember ever getting out of school for something like this. I remember having to wait for the bus in deep snow, biting cold, and conditions generally worse than this. It seemed to take a LOT more to close school down back then.

However, when I left work and began brushing the 6 inches of snow off my car, and the snow compacted on it's own into a snowman and walked off my car hood; I realized that this was probably the most perfect snowman making snow I have seen in many years. Wet enough to compact easily and strong, yet not too slushy to melt away. I hurried home and dragged my family out of the house and into the snow. We made not 1 but 4 snowmen/women; one for each member of our family.


Shockingly, Alex admitted that he had probably only made one snowman in his life, and didn't really know how it was done. He learned very quickly.



Unfortunately Baby A was sleeping so she didn't get in this picture with me and her snow counterpart.


Immediately thereafter, we had a nice big snowball fight in the backyard. I think this was Princess M's favorite part.




"You missed!!!"


We truly had a fabulous time. Having kids really does make everything fun and magical again.

No comments: